Answer: The following describes how to perform a hard reset on a Janam XP30 series of handheld computer. This process will erase all the information contained on the handheld computer and reset its memory to the factory settings. This can not be undone and should only be performed on handheld computers that contain no unsaved data.
Once a handheld computer has been hard reset, it’s necessary to reinitialize it with a mobile unit record before Solid Sales Pro can be used once again. For this reason, only administrators who know how to reinitialize a mobile unit record should perform a hard reset, as guided by the steps below. If a mistake is made, start again from the first step:
- Begin by removing the battery cover off the back of the handheld computer. Do not remove the battery! There should be a small white button marked ‘Reset’ at the bottom left of the unit when looking at its back. Also locate the power button, which is a small black button that has a red circle with a line through it, at the top of the Janam.
- Hold down the power button on the top of the Janam.
- While holding down the power button, use a stylus to press and release the white Reset button once, which will restart the Janam.
- When ‘Palm Powered’ displays on the screen, let go of the power button. The text, “Erase all data?” will display.
- Press the up or down directional arrow on the keypad to answer ‘Yes’ to this question.
- Replace the battery cover, and turn the handheld computer back on if needed. The handheld computer will then guide you through the initial setup screens, as they do when powered on for the first time.
Once past the initial setup screens, there are some preferences that should be verified or adjusted on the Janam to ensure that it will work with Solid Route Accounting once again.
- From the ‘Applications’ menu (aka: House), select ‘Prefs’ to access the Preferences.
- If it doesn’t open automatically to ‘Date & Time’, tap on the wording in the top right corner to get the Preferences Options Menu, and from this menu select ‘Date & Time’. Verify that the date and time information is correct.
- Next, tap on the wording in the top right corner once again to get the Preferences Options Menu and this time select ‘Formats’. Ensure that the ‘Date’ format is that of ‘M/D/Y’.
- OPTIONAL: If this handheld computer will be printing to a Bluetooth printer, tap on the wording in the top right corner once again, and from this Preferences Options Menu select ‘Bluetooth’. Ensure that ‘Bluetooth’ is ‘Enabled’, and after a few seconds an ‘Address’ will be assigned automatically. Then change ‘Allow Wakeup’ to ‘Yes’.
- Now use the ‘House’ button to return to the applications screen.
Once this initial setup is completed, the handheld computer is ready to be reinitialized. For information on how to reinitialize a mobile unit record, please read Article #159 How to Re-Initialize a Handheld Computer or Initialize it for the First Time.