Answer: Offering an incentive program to employees, such as commissions, is a great and easy way to boost productivity and sales. However, a problem with an ambitious commission program is that they typically require a lot of sorting through paperwork at the administration end to calculate the commission amounts based on their sales. Thankfully though, using Solid Route Accounting™, all that tedious calculation work is done automatically through the business system's Commission Report once the commission structure has been set up, which is the focus of this article.
Employee Commissions is an optionally licensed feature. For more information regarding this feature, including pricing, please get in touch with a Solid Product Specialist who will be happy to assist you further. Once the commissions have been set up, a Commission Report can be printed by following the Solid Know How™ Article #81 How to Print Employee Sales Commission Reports. To get started with creating a new Employee Commission program:
- In Solid Business Central™, navigate to [Datafile / Employee / Commission], where all the commission menu options can be viewed. The [Com Groups] option is used to create a name or 'header' for a new commission group/program. Then customers and the items they receive commissions for are later added and edited by using the [Assignment] option.
- From this menu, select [Com Groups] to create a new title for a commission program, referred to as a Commission Group. New Commission Groups can be added by using the [Insert] key. In the 'Commission Group' field, enter an ID 1-6 characters long, and in the 'Description' field, enter a longer, more descriptive name. When ready, use [CTRL+END] to save this Commission Group and continue adding any other Commission Groups. When finished adding Commission Groups, [Escape] back to the '[Commission]' menu.
- Next, select [Assignment] to decide what inventory items and employees to add to these new Commission Groups.
- From the '[Assignment]' menu, start by choosing [Inventory] to add inventory items to a Commission Group. Use the [Insert] key to add a new Inventory Item assignment record, and in the 'Commission Group' field, start by entering the desired Commission Group ID.
- Following this, items can then be added individually to this Commission Group by entering their part number in the 'Part' field, or an entire department of items can be added by entering a Department ID in the 'Department' field. Once set, use [CTRL+END] to save this new assignment, and the fields will be cleared so the next record can be entered right away. When finished entering in these inventory assignment records, [Escape] back to return to the [Assignment] menu options.
- Lastly, select [Employee] to assign Employee Records and Commission Rates to the Commission Groups. Once again, use the [Insert] key to add a new record and begin entering the 'Commission Group' field a Commission Group ID.
- There are then two ways by which Employee Records can be added to this commission group.
- Employee ID: This field can be used to assign individual Employee Records to this Commission Group.
- Employee Group: This field can be used to assign multiple Employee Records to this Commission Group by way of their two-digit Employee Group designation.
- Finally, enter the 'Commission Rate', and then use [CTRL+END] to save this new Employee Commission program.