Answer: An important part of Inventory Management is to monitor what inventory is transferred between which cost centers. The most efficient way to do this is by creating Inventory Transfers, from either Solid Business Central™ or Solid Sales Pro™, which allow quantities to be transferred between cost centers by using a traceable and printable transaction. Although creating Inventory Transfers with Solid Sales Pro™ is the most popular method, it's also important to be familiar with the Solid Business Central™ method as well as it allow Inventory Transfers to be created well in advance of the route sales people arriving at the main warehouse to load inventory.
Inventory Transfers in Solid Sales Pro™:
- To begin, log into Solid Sales Pro™, and from the '0000 Main Menu navigate to [Stock Operations]. NOTE: The [Incoming Transfer] button is used only to review what Inventory Transfers were sent to this handheld computer from Solid Business Central™ on this handheld computer's last sync.
- From the '2000 Stock Operations' screen, select [Outgoing Transfer] to begin the Inventory Transfer creation process, and from the ensuing '2200 Outgoing Transactions' screen, select [Outgoing Transaction].
- On the '2210 Create Outgoing Transfer' screen, the 'Transfer from' field should automatically be set to this handheld computer's mobile unit number.
- If logged into Solid Sales Pro™ as a Supervisor, a 'Transfer to' field is also available that can be used to specify any other cost center in the system to transfer inventory between.
- If logged into Solid Sales Pro™ as a Basic Employee, the Inventory Transfer is automatically assumed to be between this Mobile Cost Center and the main Fixed Cost Center 999.
- Use the [Add & Remove Items] button to begin adding items to this Inventory Transfer. From the '2211 Selected Items' screen, items are added to this transfer in the exact same way that they are added to an invoice. Inventory can be either added by Barcode scanning from this screen, or use the [Add] button to manually add items from a list.
- On the '2214 Transfer Detail' screen, in addition to the item's details, the 'Qty on Hand' field shows how much is currently in this cost center, and the 'Qty to Transfer' field is used to enter how much is being either transferred to or transferred from the other cost center. Just like creating an invoice transaction, positive quantities indicate the inventory is being taken out of this truck / cost center, and being transferred to the 'Transfer to' cost center. To bring inventory onto this truck / cost center, use negative quantities (just like accepting an item return from a customer).
- Once the 'Qty to Transfer' has been set, either scan the next barcode or use the [OK] button to continue adding more items to this Inventory Transfer. Once all items have been added, from the '2211 Selected items' screen use [OK] to return to the '2210 Create Outgoing Transfer' screen, and use the [Save & Print] button to continue.
- Use the [Save] button to save this Inventory Transfer to the handheld computer's memory and apply the quantity changes to this handheld computer. Optionally the [Print] button can be used to print this transfer as well. Once saved, sync the handheld computer at the nearest opportunity to apply this transfer throughout Solid Route Accounting™.
Inventory Transfers in Solid Business Central™:
- In Solid Business Central™, navigate to [Buying], and if a second menu level shows select [Buying] once again, to be taken to the 'Buying' screen.
- In the 'Sup #' field, enter in 'INTRNL' to indicate an internal adjustment is being made, and set the 'Typ' field to 'T - Stock Transfer'. An Employee ID may be required in the 'Tag/Emp #' field depending on the company's settings.
- In the 'Cost Cnt#' field, enter in the other cost center number that this Inventory Transfer will be transferring inventory with. NOTE: It will always be assumed that the main Fixed Cost Center 999 is 'Transfer from' cost center; where this Inventory Transfer is originating from. Once the 'Transfer to' cost center number has been entered in the 'Cost Cnt#' field, use [CTRL+Page Down] to move to the Item Entry area.
- Enter in the Item ID in the 'Item Code' field to add an item to this Inventory Transfer. If unsure of an item's exact ID, enter in part of that item's ID and use the [Enter] key to display the prompt, "Item not found .. add it?"
By answering 'N' to not add it as a brand new item, the company's Inventory List will display with the closest matched record highlighted. Highlight the desired item and use the [Enter] key once again to add it to the Inventory Transfer.
- The 'Avail' field will show what quantity already exists in the other cost center. In the 'Qty' field, enter in the quantity being transferred. This process is just like creating an invoice. A positive quantity will transfer that amount from cost center 999 to the other cost center. A negative quantity, just like an item return, will bring that quantity from the other cost center, back into cost center 999.
- All the other fields not mentioned in the instructions above have no effect on the Inventory Transfer. Once all the desired items have been added to this Inventory Transfer, use [CTRL+END] to save this transfer and apply it to Solid Route Accounting™.