This guide is for those who have a Palm O/S handheld computer, such as the Janam XP series, and need to connect it to a Mobile Unit Record in Solid Route Accounting. Much of this information can be found through other articles in our Solid Know How knowledge base, however this is the single article that links it all together, and can lead you from start to finish. Before we get started, there are a few things that this guide will assume.
The first is that the handheld computer is not currently assigned to a mobile unit number and therefore Solid Sales Pro is not currently installed on it. If when looking at the ‘Applications Screen’ (aka: House Menu) Solid Sales Pro is present, then please Hard Reset this handheld computer first by following the steps in the Solid Know How article appropriate for your handheld computer:
For Janam XP series of computers: Article #42 How can I Hard Reset a Janam XP30 to Factory Settings?
For Symbol SPT series of computers: Article #173 How to Hard Reset a Symbol SPT 1800 / 1700 to Factory Settings?
The second is that a Mobile Unit Record for this handheld computer to connect to should already be created. If this is not yet done, please follow the steps in the following Solid Know How articles for the Solid Route Accounting business system being used:
For Enterprise Edition users: Article #82 How to Create a New Mobile Unit Record in Solid Business Central?
For for QuickBooks, Microsoft Dynamics GP Edition, Dynamic 3i Edition, FACTS Edition, Eyewear Genetics Edition, and Integration Edition users: Article #101 How to Create a New Mobile Unit Record in Solid Mobile Central?
The third is that the Mobile Unit Record that this handheld computer is going to sync to is set to ‘Reinitialize: Yes’. For information on how to verify this, please read the section specific to the Solid Route Accounting business system being used in Article #159 How to Set a Handheld Computer to be Re-Initialized or to be Initialized it for the First Time?
We’re now ready to begin this setup.
When the handheld computer is first turned on, if greeted by a setup wizard, which may include a Hit Detection Test, Language Selection, and Date & Time Setup screens, please work through this wizard until the Applications Screen (aka House Menu) is arrived at.
NOTE: If a Language Selection screen is presented, ensure that ‘English’ is selected. Otherwise Solid Sales Pro may not work properly.
- From the Applications Screen, we next want to verify some system settings by selecting the ‘Prefs’ application to adjust the preferences. To display a menu of all the options available, tap on the wording in the top right corner to display the Preferences Menu Options.
- From the Preferences Menu Options, select ‘Date & Time’ and ensure the current date and time are set correctly.
- From the Preferences Menu Options, select ‘Formats’ and ensure the ‘Date’ format is set to ‘M/D/Y’.
- OPTIONAL: If printing to a wireless Bluetooth printer, from the Preferences Menu Options select ‘Bluetooth’ and ensure that ‘Bluetooth’ is ‘Enabled’, and after a few seconds an ‘Address’ will be found automatically. Also ensure that ‘Allow Wakeup’ is set to ‘Yes’.
- The handheld computer is now ready to sync to Solid MultiConnect, running on the desktop computer. Using the [House] button to return to the Applications Screen, and select the ‘HotSync’ application to arrive at the ‘HotSync’ screen. Ensure that Solid MultiConnect is open on the desktop computer and follow the steps below for the type of sync being used:
- If syncing by way of a Wi-Fi Wireless Network, which is the most popular and recommended sync method of the Janam XP series of handheld computer, please follow the instruction in Solid Know How Article #116 Palm OS Wi-Fi Internal and External Sync Setup Guide.
- If syncing by USB or locally by 9-Pin Serial Cable, which is the most popular sync method of the Symbol SPT series of handheld computer, simply ensure that ‘Local’ is selected, and that it says ‘Cradle/Cable’ beneath the on screen ‘HotSync’ button. Place the handheld computer in the sync cradle or attach it to the sync cable, and it’s now ready to sync.
- For assistance with any other type of sync setup, please contact a Solid Customer Service representative for further assistance.
- When ready, sync the handheld computer to Solid MultiConnect. When Solid MultiConnect picks up the connection, it will ask that a Mobile Unit Number be chosen to assign this handheld computer to. Select the desired ‘Unit ID’ from the list and use the [OK] button to accept. The handheld computer will then continue on with its sync and should report, “HotSync operation complete.”
On the Applications Screen, Solid Sales Pro should now be available once again.
Ensure that Solid Sales Pro can be successfully entered and that the ‘1100 Create Transaction’ sales screen can be accessed. The handheld computer should now be ready to go out and make sales.
OPTIONAL: For printing to a Bluetooth printer, there’s some additional setup required.
- From the Applications Screen, select ‘Print Setup’, and on the ‘PrintBoy Setup’ wizard that shows, select the [Cancel] button.
- Under ‘Printer’ select the printer make and model that this handheld computer will be printing to. If the printer is not listed here, select the ‘Generic’ option. Once that’s set, tap on the [Edit] button to continue.
- Change the ‘Port’ from IrDA to ‘BlueTooth’, and use the [OK] button to continue. When asked if you’d like to make this your default printer, select [Yes], and then use the [OK] button to return to the Applications Screen.
- Now log into Solid Sales Pro, and once at the ‘Main Menu’, select the [Properties] button, followed by the [Printing] button. On the ‘4400 Print Options’ screen, ensure that ‘Available’ is set to ‘Wireless’ and use [OK] to confirm the setting, and then [Quit] to return to the ‘Main Menu’.
The handheld computer is now set up for wireless Bluetooth printing.