If it should happen that something unfortunate happens to a route sales person’s handheld computer where the contents of Solid Sales Pro are wiped out, so too will be gone all the invoices they created since their last successful sync session. Although the first reaction may be to have the route sales person meticulously recreate all the invoices, this is not the most ideal method of invoice recreation in Solid Business Central. The route sales person will have to recreate the invoices in the same order that they were originally created so the invoice numbers match up, and repopulate them item by item, ensuring that the quantities and prices are correct, so that everything matches the originals, all the while under the pressure of wanting to get back out onto the road to make sales.
The obvious problem with this method is that if the route sales person makes a mistake and saves the invoice with a mistake on it, then the company’s data integrity has been compromised. There is an easier way though, that not only ensures a greater chance of the invoices being recreated correctly, but also gets the route sales person back on the road immediately to continue making money. Using the [F11 – Fill] key in their mobile unit record allows their last invoice number created before losing their data to be entered, and it’ll then create open orders in Solid Business Central to fill in all those lost invoice numbers, that can then be later modified to match the original invoices.
How to Use [F11 – Fill]:
- To begin, copy down the invoice number of the last invoice the route sales person created.
- In Solid Business Central, navigate to [Datafile / Cost Center / Mobile] and display the mobile unit record for that route sales person’s handheld computer. If Solid Sales Pro is no longer on their handheld computer, this mobile unit record might as well be set to be ‘Reinitialized’, since we’re here anyways, in preparation of their handheld computer's return and reinitialization. Use the [F3 – Initial] key to change the ‘Re-Init’ field to ‘Y’.
- By using the [F11 – Fill] key, a screen will display that shows the last invoice number created by this handheld computer on record within Solid Business Central, and it will ask that the ‘Billno to fill up to’ be entered. Type in the last successful invoice number that the driver created, and use [CTRL+END] to save it.
- Now sync the route sales person’s handheld computer.
- If syncing wirelessly using Wi-Fi internet, for assistance with setting up this type of sync please consult Article #116 Palm OS Wi-Fi Local and External Sync Setup Guide.
- Once the handheld computer has been successfully synced, the missing invoice numbers will have been added into Solid Business Central as Open Orders, and the route sales person can resume making sales. Be sure to have printed physical copies of the missing invoices before proceeding to the next section so the office employee has something to copy the data off of.
To Recreate the Invoices:
Once the missing invoices have been added to Solid Business Central as Open Orders, it’s up to an office or warehouse employee to modify those Open Orders so they match the invoices that share their same invoice numbers.
- In Solid Business Central, navigate to [Sales], and if a second menu level opens up select [Sales] once again, to arrive at the ‘Sales’ screen.
- In the ‘Cst’ Customer Number field, enter in ‘000999’ to select the ‘Unassigned Orders’ customer record. If the above [F11 – Fill] procedure was done correctly, there should be an option between the ‘Lmt’ field and the ‘Item Code’ field called [F2 – Open Bills].
- Use the [F2 – Open Bills] key to display a list of all the Open Orders that were created from the [F11 – Fill] procedure. Highlight an Open Order whose ‘Bill’ number matches that of one of the physical invoices to be recreated, and use the [Enter] key to select it.
- With the order opened, recreating the original invoice is exactly the same as creating any other invoice in Solid Business Central. In the Header (top) of this invoice, adjust:
- Customer: Set the ‘Cst’ field to be the original customer’s number
- Date: Adjust the ‘Date’ to be the date on which the original invoice was made, if applicable**
- Type: Change the invoice type to be ‘B – Bill’ for finalized invoices.
- Pay: What payment type was used?
- Tax: Controls tax exemption
- CC: Set this field to the handheld computer’s number
- When done in the Header, move down into the Body with [CTRL+Page Down] and populate the items that were sold on the original invoice including:
- Items: Whatever was sold on the original invoice, preferably in the same order as the original invoice
- Quantity: Ensure the same amount is invoiced
- Prices: Ensure the correct prices are used, as on the original invoice
- Taxes: Verify that the taxes are the same
- When all’s set as per the original invoice, save the recreated invoice with [CTRL+END] and repeat steps 6 - 11 above for all other invoices that need to be recreated.
** If the ‘Date’ can’t be modified, then Back Dating has not been enabled in Solid Business Central. To enable this, navigate to [System / Configure / Company / Settings] and in the ‘Edit Bill Date?’ field, enter in how many days in the past an invoice/order can be backdated to. The maximum is 90 days. Once set, use [CTRL+END] to save this change and resume operations.